Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Is a Love of Giraffes a Precursor to a Career in Graphic Design?

I love giraffes and have for as long as I can remember. From an early age I was drawn not only to their coats, a pattern which is unique on each giraffe, but also their long necks and graceful bodies. It doesn't hurt that they are vegetarians either!

As I started meeting other designers, I noticed that most of them loved giraffes as well. A quick google search of giraffes produced blog after blog of designers and art students who write of their affinity for the animal. I started wondering why. Many people will say that it's obvious, designers are drawn to graphic things and giraffes are visually graphic. But so are zebras and cheetahs and leopards and tigers. The list goes on and on. Why giraffes? I really have no idea what the answer is, but it's interesting to think about. Are there small clues even at a young age that will predict what we will chose to do with our lives? Can something that is seemingly insignificant tell us a lot more than we think? When I was a little kid, I had never even heard of graphic design, but maybe my love of giraffes was a sign that I had already chosen my career path.

Favorite giraffe paraphernalia:







Follow my blog with Bloglovin

0 comments:

Post a Comment